Minh Souphanousinphone (née Hexumalayasabrath) is the wife of Kahn Souphanousinphone and mother of Connie Souphanousinphone. She is often in charge of taking care of the house, Connie, a boat, and a rose garden.
As the daughter of a Laotian general, Minh, who stands 5'5", had been instructed to date a rich, accomplished man that her father had chosen, but spurned him for Kahn, who was rebellious, poor, and had a scooter. The two married and moved to Anaheim, California. They later moved to Arlen, after what Minh described as "neighbor problems", where they are often at odds with their "hillbilly" neighbors. Minh has a more positive outlook on her neighbors than Kahn, although sometimes her husband's attitude can be seen in her. Kahn is also often the softer parent; Minh pushes Connie very hard to be successful and fulfill his dreams of her attending an Ivy League school and playing violin for the Philharmonic, but Minh has several moments where she is decidedly in Connie's camp and offers her advice and comfort. Appearance wise, Minh is thought of to be very attractive, especially by Joseph, who becomes overwhelmed by hormones and her sweater puppies, resulting in him making a move on her in haste.
While Kahn is at work, Minh takes care of Connie and the house and prefers to do the work herself. This is a frequent source of comedy between her and Kahn's mother, who comes to visit in one episode and insists on going through Minh's house and cleaning everything. Although Peggy is considered to be her rival, she, Nancy and Peggy occasionally are seen enjoying their time together, having drinks, brunch, or clothing swaps, and get involved in some issues together, such as saving after-school programs. Minh is less friendly to her male neighbors, sometimes calling them names like "hillbilly" or "redneck" behind their backs or to their faces. However, in dire situations, there have been times the men of Rainey Street have come to her aid, and Minh is more acknowledging of that than has been Kahn.
Despite most episodes being at home, she is quite skilled at it. She commented that Peggy could not remove stains from fabrics. In another episode she showed Joseph Gribble how to wash his face. She has financial support from her father, as he cosigned one of their home loans.
Aside from her duties as a housewife, Minh is a talented markswoman, a skill she learned from General Gum in childhood. This leads her to join Nine Rivers Country Club as a member of the skeet shooting team. The country club is one of the many things Kahn and Minh envy about the rest of the Laotian community in Arlen, as they have been trying to get into the exclusive club for years and are always trying to impress the Wassanasongs into inviting them to be members. Minh is interested in politics and once ran for school board. She is also often involved in making side-money by becoming involved with stocks and supporting Kahn buying a car wash business, being the camera operator and director filming Kahn for his own Get Rich Quick videos. At one point when Kahn was unemployed, Bobby Hill hired Minh to teach him Laotian ("De-Kahnstructing Henry"). Minh also enjoys playing Mahjong; she challenges Peggy to a game after losing $13 to her at Boggle.
As seen in the episode "The Accidental Terrorist" in which Hank spends sticker price on all of the cars he has bought, it is discovered that Minh has a secret that Peggy says she can use against her if she tells Hank that he bought his cars for sticker price.
Minh has implied that she prefers the smell of jockstraps to that of roses.
- In "Naked Ambition", the boat's name is revealed to be: Laotian In Motion.
- Minh's voice actress, Lauren Tom, also voices Minh's daughter Connie.
- Minh is able to speak two dialects of Laotian as indicated when she taught Bobby a different dialect from the dialect that Connie is familiar with.
- Minh's strict personality constantly fits into the "tiger mom", a popular Asian stereotype of a mother who craves for her kids to stand out and overachieve in school and academic lives and exerts too much pressure on their studies and education, often to the point of stressing the children's social lives and human relationships.
- According to her husband, her favorite song is "Tush" by classic rock band ZZ Top.
- Westie Side Story
- Shins of the Father
- Peggy the Boggle Champ
- King of the Ant Hill (non-speaking)
- Plastic White Female (off-screen)
- Death of a Propane Salesman
- Peggy's Headache
- Peggy's Pageant Fever
- Good Hill Hunting
- To Spank, with Love
- De-Kahnstructing Henry
- The Wedding of Bobby Hill
- Love Hurts and So Does Art
- Wings of the Dope
- Take Me Out of the Ball Game
- As Old as the Hills
- Peggy Hill: The Decline and Fall
- Aisle 8A
- Happy Hank's Giving
- Old Glory
- Naked Ambition
- Movin' On Up
- Won't You Pimai Neighbor?
- Patch Boomhauer
- New Cowboy on the Block
- Rich Hank, Poor Hank
- Ceci N'est Pas Une King of the Hill
- Après Hank, le Deluge
- Girl, You'll Be a Giant Soon
- Stressed for Success
- The Redneck on Rainey Street